Empowering Youths, Shaping the Technocrats

"It seems to me that a view of the heavenly bodies through a fine telescope"

Study In Canada                        Post-Grad Work Permit

 ♦ Why Science and Engineering ?

 ♦ Why Study -in- Canada ?

 ♦ Educational Systems of Canada

 ♦ Country Information of Canada

 ♦ The Canadian Way of Life

 ♦ Safety In Canada

 ♦ Student Accommodation

 ♦ Top 10 reasons to Study In Canada

 ♦ Cost of Living for International Students

 ♦ Work While Studying In Canada

 ♦ Post-Grad Work Permit

The post-graduation work permit (PGWP) is a pillar of Canada’s immigration system, allowing international students who graduate from universities and colleges in Canada to work in Canada for up to three years upon graduation. The post-graduation work permit also helps graduates transition to permanent resident status in Canada.

Getting a Post-Graduation Work Permit while studying in Canada (called PGWP) depends a lot on your course and its duration. A work permit under the PGWP is usually issued for the length of the study program. The maximum length of the post-work permit is of three years. It means if your post-graduate course’s duration is two years, you get a three-year PGWP visa. A post-graduation work permit cannot be valid for longer than the student’s study program. The course duration must be a minimum of eight months in length.

The PGWP allows international students graduating from a participating post-secondary college/university to gain Canadian work experience. In the long run, Canadian work experience gained through PGWP helps international graduates qualify for PR (permanent residence) in Canada through Express Entry.

The PGWP is an open work permit, allowing its holder to work for any employer in any location in Canada, and to change employers freely.

Here’s how applying for a PGWP works:

To obtain a post-graduation work permit, you must currently hold valid temporary status or have left Canada. You must have graduated from an eligible designated learning institution (DLI). You must also submit clear evidence that you meet all of the following criteria:

♦ You have completed an academic, vocational or professional training program at an eligible institution in      Canada that is at least 8 months in duration leading to a degree, diploma or certificate.

♦ You have maintained full-time student status in Canada during each academic session of the program or 

    programs of study they have completed and submitted as part of their post-graduation work permit           

    application. Exceptions can be made only for the following: leave from studies or final academic session.

♦ You have received a transcript and an official letter from the eligible DLI confirming that you have met the 

    requirements to complete your program of study. The transcript and official letter must be included in a 

    post-graduation work permit application.

Within 180 days of the date of applying for the post-graduation work permit, you must also meet one of the following criteria:

♦ You hold a valid study permit, OR

♦ You held a study permit, OR

♦ You were authorized to study in Canada without the requirement to obtain a study permit 

    under paragraphs 188(1)(a) and (b) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. This list is 

    limited to private staff of diplomats, members of the armed forces of certain countries, and indigenous 

    people, but it also includes people who enroll in a course or program of studies that is six months or less 

    and will be completed within the period for their stay authorized upon entry into Canada.

Canada wants international students and graduates to plan for a long-term career in the country. To facilitate this goal, the post-graduation work permit program allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience.

A post-graduation work permit may be valid for up to three years, depending on the duration of the study program in Canada completed by the applicant. Moreover, the post-graduation work permit is an open work permit, allowing its bearer to work in any location in Canada, not restricted to any employer. Neither the applicant nor an employer needs to obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) before the worker may begin working in Canada.

With this experience, graduates not only earn professionally — they can also benefit from permanent residence immigration programs that reward Canadian work experience, such as the Canadian Experience Class.